- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Curried Braised Wings Recipe
|Chicken wings||3 Pound (12 Wings)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsweetened coconut milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried red pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh mint leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Packed)|
|Yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Plain Regular Or Low-Fat)|
|Cooked rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), reheated (Leftover)|
Calories 492 Calories from Fat 167
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.1%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.4%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 131.7 mg
Sodium 270.8 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.2%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 53 g106.4%
Vitamin A 20.3% Vitamin C 13.2%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 23.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a wide nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the wings and saute them until golden, 3 minutes per side. (If you don't have a large enough skillet, do this in two batches, which will add 7 or 8 minutes to your cooking time.) During this time, finely slice the onion; combine the cumin, cinnamon, and ginger together in a small bowl; and measure out the remaining ingredients.
3. Remove the wings to a plate, and add the onion slices to the skillet. Saute over high heat until tender, golden brown, and caramelized, 5 minutes. If they begin to stick, just add a tablespoon of water.
4. Add the spice mixture, and whisk in the tomato paste and coconut milk. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the water, and whisk the ingredients together to blend them. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
5. Bring the liquid to a boil, return the wings to the sauce, and cover. Simmer over low heat, turning the wings once until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. While they are cooking, finely chop the mint.
6. Remove the wings to a plate. Add the yogurt and mint to the sauce, and adjust the seasoning; spoon the sauce over the wings and serve immediately.