- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Curanto Style Leg of Lamb Recipe Video
|Leg of lamb||5 Pound (chicken, ribs, or pork butt)|
|Butternut squash||2 Large (Whole) (Optional)|
|Russet potatoes||3 Medium (Optional)|
|Carrots||2 Medium (Optional)|
|Beets||2 Medium (Optional)|
|Fennel bulbs||2 Medium (Optional)|
|For the spice rub|
|Fenugreek seeds||100 Gram|
|Black mustard seeds||100 Gram|
|Nigella seeds||100 Gram|
|Fennel seeds||100 Gram|
|Cumin seeds||100 Gram|
|Smoked sweet paprika||5 Tablespoon|
|Chilies||To Taste (Kashmiri chilies) (Optional)|
Calories 601 Calories from Fat 211
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.5%
Saturated Fat 7.8 g39.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 101.3 mg
Sodium 219.7 mg9.2%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g21.9%
Dietary Fiber 17.8 g71.4%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 41 g81.1%
Vitamin A 673.8% Vitamin C 127.1%
Calcium 42.1% Iron 85.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Mortar & pestle / Spice grinder
2. a wheelbarrow
3. some dry rocks (about 8 inches in diameter)
4. plenty of firewood (about 12 logs)
5. a shovel
6. a muslin, burlap or cotton sheet (dense enough to shield the food from the earth)
1. Start a fire with logs and a layer of rocks. Let it burn down for an hour and then add another 6 logs and another layer of rocks. And using this prepare the wheel barrow for cooking the leg of lamb as shown in the video. While the fire is burning down, make the spice rub for the lamb.
1. In a container add the fenugreek seeds, black mustard seeds, nigella seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and sweet paprika, chili, close the container and shake it to combine all of the spices well.
2. Take a dry cast iron skillet and roast the well mixed spices until fragrant. Then coarsely grind them in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder.
3. Generously rub the ground spices mixture on all sides of the leg of lamb. Also season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook the lamb on the wheel barrow for 5 hours along with vegetables of your choice as shown in the video.
5. Serve warm with Butternut squash potatoes and any of the root vegetables of your choice like carrots or beets or fennel bulbs.
The spice mixture prepared can be stored in an air tight container for months and can be used when needed.