- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cumin Curry Rolls Recipe
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Millet||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 188 Calories from Fat 33
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.9%
Saturated Fat 0.52 g2.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 308.7 mg12.9%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 5 g9.6%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 1.9%
Calcium 1.4% Iron 12.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large skillet, saute the onion in the oil over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until they begin to brown.
3) Stir in the millet and cook for another about 10 minutes until the onions are nicely browned.
4) In a large bowl, stir the yeast, 1/2 cup water and 1 teaspoon sugar together, keep aside.
5) Stir the 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 1/4 cups water and 2 1/4 cups flour into the yeast mixture. Then stir in the salt, bran, curry powder, cumin, and onion mixture and blend well.
6) Stir in 1 cup flour and turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic, adding the 1/4 cup flour as needed.
7) In an oiled bowl, place the dough and coat. Cover the bowl and keep aside for about 1 1/4 hours until doubled in bulk.
8) Punch the dough down and roll into a coil on a heavily floured surface. Cut the coil into 16 pieces and flatten a piece of dough slightly and fold and pinch the edges in towards the center into a ball. Turn the ball over and roll it on the table, repeat with the remaining pieces.
9) Lightly sprinkle 2 baking sheets with cornmeal. Place the rolls about 2 1/2 inches apart on the sheets. Lightly sift flour over the top of the rolls, cover the trays loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.
10) When the rolls have risen, a slash across the top of each roll. Place the rolls in the oven and spritz the oven a few times with water and cose the oven door. Spritz again after 1 minute.
11) Bake for about 20 minutes until the bottom of the rolls are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
12) Serve immediately or when cooled.