- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Cuban Black Bean Soup Recipe
|Dried black beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), rinsed and picked over (Such As Turtle Beans)|
|Lean salt pork/Turkey bacon||1 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Sweet green pepper||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||1 Dash|
|Hot red pepper sauce||1 Dash|
|Low-fat sour cream||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Low fat sour cream||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh thyme/Parsley||1 Tablespoon, garnish|
|Chopped fresh thyme/Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
Calories 384 Calories from Fat 49
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.5%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.6 mg
Sodium 589.7 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g22.1%
Dietary Fiber 16.7 g66.6%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 21 g42%
Vitamin A 35.4% Vitamin C 80.7%
Calcium 18.7% Iron 35.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large saucepan, place the beans and completely cover with water.
2. Put the pan on heat and bring it to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes, and then remove the pan from the heat.
3. Allow the beans to soak for at least 1 hour or preferably, overnight.
4. After soaking, drain the beans and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain them again.
5. In a saucepan, place the chopped pork or bacon and place the pan over moderate heat.
6. Cook the pork or bacon, stirring frequently, until it is crisp and the fat comes out.
7. Using a slotted spoon and remove the pork or bacon from the pan and discard.
8. In the same pan with the fat, add the garlic, onion, and green pepper.
9. Saute the vegetables, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until they soften and are slightly browned.
10. Add the cumin and thyme, stir them in, and saute for about 2 minutes longer.
11. Now add the stock with the water, tomatoes, and the soaked beans, and stir them in.
12. Bring the mixture to a boil.
13. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, until the beans and vegetables are soft.
14. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
15. Take about 2 cups of the beans and vegetables, put them into a blender or food processor, and make a smooth puree.
16. Next, add about half of the liquid to the paste and blend again to combine.
17. Add the mixture to the soup and return the saucepan to the heat.
18. Finally, stir in the lime juice, pepper, and a dash of hot red pepper sauce just before taking off the fire.
19. Serve the soup in bowls topped with a spoonful of sour cream and a little chopped thyme or parsley.