- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cuban Black Bean & Ham Soup Recipe
|Black beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked overnight and drained (Uncooked)|
|Lower salt ham||2 Ounce (1 Slice)|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Seasoning blend||2 Teaspoon (Mrs. Dash Original Blend)|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lower salt ham||6 Ounce, cut into 3/4 inch cubes (1 1/2 Cubes)|
Calories 246 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.1%
Saturated Fat 0.28 g1.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 467.1 mg19.5%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.5%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.7%
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 20 g41%
Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 10% Iron 20.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a medium saucepan combine beans, ham slice, green pepper, onion and seasonings and add enough water to just cover beans.
2. Let it boil lower heat, cover and simmer about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beans are tender and most of liquid is absorbed.
3. Put in ham cubes.
4. Let it cook 10 minutes, or until ham is heated through.
5. Remove ham slice before serving.
6. Serve over rice, if desired.