- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Crusty White Bread Recipe
|Unbleached white flour/Bread flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Lukewarm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Melted ghee/Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Clarified Butter, Milky Solids Discarded)|
|Milk||11 6667⁄10000 Tablespoon (2/3 Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3101 Calories from Fat 580
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g101.7%
Saturated Fat 35.9 g179.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 359.7 mg
Sodium 2108.5 mg87.9%
Total Carbohydrates 530 g176.8%
Dietary Fiber 21.4 g85.5%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 87 g174.8%
Vitamin A 8.4% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 34.3% Iron 193.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, add the butter, and % cup milk and mix very well.
3. Combine the yeast mixture with the flour mixture and mix well. This takes the place of kneading so mixing should be done vigorously and well. Put in an oiled bowl.
4. Cover and let rise in a warm place until the dough is doubled in bulk and is very light, about I 1/2 hours.
5. Punch down, turn onto a board, and pat or roll to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough in half and roll each half like a jelly roll with tapered ends. Place, seam side down, on an oiled baking sheet.
6. Cover and let rise in a warm place until half-risen.
7. When half-risen, slash the tops of the loaves diagonally with a sharp knife. Combine the remaining milk with the egg and brush over the loaves. Set in a warm place to rise until very light, another hour or so.
8. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
9. Put a pan of hot water on the bottom of the oven. Bake the loaves in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 15 minutes longer or until well browned.