- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Crispy Onion Rings in Beer Batter Recipe Video
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Corn starch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant mashed potato||3 Tablespoon|
|Beer/Club soda||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Japanese bread crumbs||8 Ounce|
|Yellow onion||2 Medium|
|Seasoning salt||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1424 Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.4%
Saturated Fat 0.15 g0.75%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1122.2 mg46.8%
Total Carbohydrates 267 g89.2%
Dietary Fiber 14 g55.8%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 41 g83%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 2% Iron 17.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Mix in all purpose flour, corn starch and the secret ingredient, instant mashed potatoes into a mixing bowl (instant mashed potatoes will make the rings even crispier).
2. Pour in a cup of beer and mix well.
3. You will not taste the beer or alcohol after the rings are cooked, because the heat will cook out the alcohol.
4. You can also use club soda or some people like to call it soda water. You can use water if you want, but it won't be as crispy. 5. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes, it will thicken up because of the instant mashed potatoes.
6. Cut the top and bottom of the onion, remove the skin and the first layer of the onion, the first layer is usually soggy and thinner.
7. Cut them into slices; about 1.5cm thin, then separate them to rings (Make sure you cut against the grain).
8. Coat the ring with batter, remove the excess batter and transfer it into the bread crumbs.
9. Coat the ring with bread crumbs evenly. (Tips: use a different fork for every section of step 3, coating with batter, bread crumbs and frying.)
10. Preheat the oil to 350F°. If you don't have an oil thermometer, stick in a wooden chopstick into the oil, if bubbles come out it's ready.
11. Slowly put in your ring into the oil and fry both sides until golden brown.
12. It will only take 1 minute or 2 minutes maximum.
13. Fish out your rings and transfer them to a cooling rack with paper towels underneath.
14. Serve when it's slightly cooled down and enjoy!