- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Creme Brulee French Toast Recipe Video
|Cr me brul e french toast|
|Challah bread slices||6 (approx. 1 loaf, into cut 1 inch thick slices)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 stick)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 Large|
|Frozen berries||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), Defrosted|
Calories 2540 Calories from Fat 1898
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 215 g330.1%
Saturated Fat 117.5 g587.5%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 1211.7 mg
Sodium 669.4 mg27.9%
Total Carbohydrates 127 g42.3%
Dietary Fiber 7 g27.9%
Sugars 67.9 g
Protein 35 g70.4%
Vitamin A 128.9% Vitamin C 29.2%
Calcium 30.6% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a microwave safe dish, microwave 1 stick of butter for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.
2. Add in the brown and white sugar, and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Whisk in the half and half, heavy cream, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix until well combined.
4. Place the bread slices into the mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes on each side.
5. In a nonstick pan on medium heat, heat the canola oil. When the bread has finished soaking, remove the slices from the mixture, letting any excess drip off and pan fry them for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Keep aside.
6. In a small bowl, crush the defrosted berries until the juice come out, to make the berry Hollandaise sauce.
7. In a small saucepan, melt butter on low heat, making sure that once its melted, skim and discard as much of the milk solids as possible.
8. In another saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of water to a simmer. In a stainless steel mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the egg yolks with about 2 tablespoons of the juice from the berries, until nice and frothy. Now place the stainless steel mixing bowl on top of the simmering water and whisk vigorously, until doubled in volume.
9. Remove from heat and continue whisking for about 20 seconds to prevent eggs from overcooking. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter while whisking vigorously until it emulsifies and thickens.
10. Serve the creme brulee french toast garnished with berry Hollandaise sauce, crushe berries and dusted with powdered sugar.