- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Creamy Polenta with Caramelized Fennel and Onions Recipe Video
|Polenta/Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Yellow onions||3 Medium, cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|White fennel bulbs||3 Medium, cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|Leeks||1 Large, sliced|
|Goat cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Portabella mushroom caps||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut in half|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable broth||3 Cup (48 tbs) (1 cup broth plus 2 cups of water)|
|Wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pepper||2 Pinch, ground|
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 75
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.9%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.9 mg
Sodium 516.1 mg21.5%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.4%
Dietary Fiber 10.9 g43.5%
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 9 g18.2%
Vitamin A 32.5% Vitamin C 49.1%
Calcium 23.4% Iron 22.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a pan and spray it with some Extra virgin olive oil, add the onions and fennel slices which needs to be sauteed and caramelized on a low heat.
2. In a separate pan sprayed with olive oil, saute the leeks.
3. In a separate pot add vegetable broth. Whisk the pre measured polenta into this broth.
4. Meanwhile take another pan, add wine (optional), balsamic vinegar and simmer it for about 3 minutes before adding the mushrooms to it. The mushrooms would be done when the liquid evaporates completely. Occasionally keep stirring the polenta to avoid it from sticking to the pot.
5. When the onion and fennel turn golden brown, add 2/3 cup red wine (optional). Mix it in and let it continue to simmer until the wine evaporates.
6. When you stir in the polenta and it holds shape, mix in the goat cheese along with the leeks and stir until the cheese is melted.
7. Serve the polenta with the balsamic mushrooms on top and the caramelized fennel and the onions by the side and garnish it with the top of the fennel. To complete the dish, sprinkle it with some fresh ground pepper and drizzle it with some extra virgin olive oil.