- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Creamy Lemon Lime Tarts Recipe
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Lime peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Graham cracker pie shells||4 Ounce (1 package, individual)|
|Egg whites||2 (room temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
Calories 209 Calories from Fat 52
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.9%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.8 mg
Sodium 137.2 mg5.7%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.42 g1.7%
Sugars 25.7 g
Protein 2 g4.2%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C 7.1%
Calcium 1.7% Iron 2.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a saucepan, mix together ¾ cup of sugar, cornstarch and salt.
3) Gently stream in water and milk in the sugar mixture until well blended.
4) Heat the sugar mixture to a boil, and continue to boil for 1 minute stirring continuously.
5) Remove from the heat.
6) In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and stir 1/4 cup of hot sugar mixture into the yolks.
7) Slowly mix in the yolk mixture into the sugar mixture.
8) Heat the sugar mixture to boil and continue to boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
9) Remove from the heat and add margarine, lemon juice, lime juice and lime peel.
10) Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
11) Spoon the mixture into the pie shells.
12) In a deep bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar using electric beater until soft peak consistency for about 1 minute.
13) Mix in 2 tablespoons of sugar, slowly while beating at full speed, until stiff peak consistency.
14) Spoon or pipe the egg white mixture over the yolk mixture, to the pie edges to prevent shrinkage.
15) Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the egg white mixture is light browned.
16) Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
17) Refrigerate for 2 hours or until filling is set.
18) Cut into wedges and dust with icing sugar if desired.