- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Creamed Smoked Haddock Recipe
|Haddock||2 Pound, smoked|
|Smoked haddock||2 Pound (to make 4 cups cooked and flaked fish)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed to cover fish)|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||To Taste|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Small mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, stemmed, halved or quartered|
Calories 335 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.4%
Saturated Fat 6.3 g31.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 153.8 mg
Sodium 162.2 mg6.8%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.93 g3.7%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 46 g92.1%
Vitamin A 8.3% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 8.6% Iron 17.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large bowl, soak the haddok in milk for 1 hour.
2) In a heavy pan, bring the haddock and milk to a slow boil.
3) Allow to cool, then drain, skin and bone the fish, reserving 2 cups milk.
4) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
5) In a heavy pan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes; remove from the heat.
6) Heat 2 cups of the reserved milk and pour it into the roux in the pan.
7) Add the nutmeg, whisk until smooth and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring continuously.
8) Adjust the seasoning with freshly ground pepper and salt, if needed; then allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate.
9) Stir the mushrooms into the sauce and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. 10) Stir the sauce into the flaked fish and turn into an ovenproof dish.
11) Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until bubbling.
12) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.