- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cream Puff Shortcake With Cherries Jubilee Recipe
|For giant cream puffs|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|For cherries jubilee|
|Canned pitted bing cherries||30 Ounce (1 Can Of 1 Pound And 14 Ounce)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Brandy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cherry vanilla ice cream||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 568 Calories from Fat 237
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g40.8%
Saturated Fat 15.9 g79.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 150.9 mg50.3%
Sodium 187.4 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g23.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.2%
Sugars 53.6 g
Protein 9 g17.8%
Vitamin A 23.1% Vitamin C 6.5%
Calcium 20.3% Iron 7.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the cherries jubilee by draining the cherries and reserving the liquid.
2. In a small saucepan, tip in the granulated sugar and the cornstarch and add the cherry liquid. Mix well
3. Bring this mixture to the boil and then continue boiling while stirring on high heat for 2 minutes. When the mixture becomes thick, remove from heat and set aside to cool
4. Preheat the oven to 400F
5. Prepare the giant cream puff, in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat the water and add the butter and salt to the hot water.
6. Once the butter melts, remove the saucepan from the heat.
7. Use a wooden spoon to beat in the flour all at once.
8. Return to low heat and continue the heating process till the mixture pulls away from the sides and forms a ball.
9. Use a wooden spoon to beat in eggs into the flour to make a smooth pliable mixture. Continue beating till the mixture becomes smooth, shiny and breaks into strands.
10. Turn out this mixture on to an ungreased cookie sheet, to make an 8-inch round about 1 inch thick.
11. Bake this for 60 minutes or till the puff is golden and crunchy. Leave this to cool in the oven for ten minutes and then remove to a wire rack. Split it in half to let the steam escape and cool completely.
12. Spoon the ice cream into the bottom half of the puff while mounding slightly
13. Add the top of the puff and sprinkle with sugar. Cut into puffin wedges just before serving
14. Mix the cherries with the cherry sauce and heat gently and tip into a metal serving bowl
15. Heat brandy over low heat till it starts steaming and pour it immediately over the pastry.
16. Ignite and spoon flaming cherries over the cream puff.
17. Serve the flambÃ© immediately