- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gourmet Cream Of Spinach Soup Recipe
|Spinach||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Onion||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Plain flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
|Cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Bread cubes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 446 Calories from Fat 199
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.2%
Saturated Fat 13.7 g68.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 144.4 mg
Sodium 300.3 mg12.5%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.6%
Sugars 20.8 g
Protein 8 g15.8%
Vitamin A 70.1% Vitamin C 21.3%
Calcium 24.9% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse the spinach leaves thoroughly and trim off the tough stems.
2) In a saucepan, combine the spinach, 1 cup water and salt to taste together.
3) Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the leaves are wilted.
4) Drain the spinach and reserve the cooking liquid.
5) Puree the spinach in a blender or press through a sieve.
6) In a saucepan, saute the onion in butter, stirring constantly, until the onion is lightly coloured.
7) Stir in the flour, blend until smooth and cook for 2 minutes without browning.
8) Pour in the milk, stir constantly and cook until the soup begins to boil and has a slightly thick consistency.
9) Strain the soup through a fine sieve into another saucepan.
10) Then stir in the spinach puree and reserved spinach cooking liquid.
11) Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne to taste.
12) Simmer over a low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
13) In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and cream together.
14) Stir gradually into the spinach soup, stirring constantly.
15) When ready to serve, stir in the chopped parsley.
16) Croutons: In a pan, melt about 2 tablespoons of butter.
17) Stir in the bread cubes, stir constantly and fry until they are evenly browned.
18) Serve the Cream of Spinach Soup hot with fried croutons, if desired.