- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cranberry Walnut Swirls Recipe
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cranberries||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), finely chopped|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), ground|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
Calories 126 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.1%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 22.7 mg7.6%
Sodium 33.6 mg1.4%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.58 g2.3%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 2 g3.5%
Vitamin A 3.2% Vitamin C 2.2%
Calcium 1.3% Iron 3.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Combine cranberries, walnuts and orange rind and keep aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degree F before baking.
3. Lightly grease cookie sheets with butter
4. In a large mixing bowl, place the butter and beat with an electric mixer until soft.
5. Gradually add sugar, beating until the mixture is light and creamy.
6. Blend in the egg and vanilla.
7. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl then add to the creamed mixture in batches, beating at low speed until well blended into dough.
8. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted surface and roll out into a square of about 10-inches.
9. Spread the cranberry mixture over the dough, within ½ inch of opposite edges.
10. Beginning at the border side, roll the dough into a tight log.
11. Tightly wrap it in wax paper and refrigerate or freeze overnight until firm or until required. This can be kept for 1 month in the freezer.
12. Remove logs from the refrigerator and slice each into 1/2 -inch thick slices, using a sharp serrated knife.
13. Arrange the slices on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inch space between each.
14. Bake them in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes
15. Remove from oven and cool cookies slightly on baking sheets then slide them to on a wire rack to cool.
16. They make wonderful treats at tea parties or you can pack them in a box and include them in your Holiday hampers.
Store baked cookies in a wax paper lined air tight container, in a cool dry place.