- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cranberry Pork Recipe
|Pork shoulder||3 1⁄2 Pound, boned (1.5 Kilogram)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 , finely chopped|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||2 , rinds removed and chopped|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, finely chopped (100 Grams)|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Beaten egg||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|For cranberry sauce|
|Orange||1 Small, thinly pared zest and juiced|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Bottled cranberry sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Dry red wine||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 690 Calories from Fat 393
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.4%
Saturated Fat 13.3 g66.5%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 166.2 mg55.4%
Sodium 360.1 mg15%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.1%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 50 g99.9%
Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C 31.4%
Calcium 9% Iron 22.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Make the stuffing: heat the oil in a frying-pan, add the onion and bacon and fry over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 2-3 minutes, then turn the mixture into a bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs and parsley and season well with salt and pepper. Stir in enough beaten egg just to bind.
3. Place the pork on a work surface and spread the stuffing on it. Roll up tightly and tie securely in several places with fine string. Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time at 35 minutes per 500 g/1 lb plus 35 minutes. Place in a roasting tin, rind side up.
4. Rub the rind all over with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for the calculated time.
5. About 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, make the cranberry sauce: cut the pared orange zest into thin strips and simmer for 5 minutes in water. Drain, rinse under cold running water and reserve. Pour the orange and lemon juices into a small pan, add the cranberry sauce and red wine and heat, stirring, until the cranberry sauce has melted. Blend the cornflour with the water in a cup and stir into the cranberry mixture in the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring. Lower the heat and simmer for about 2 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl. Sprinkle over the reserved zest.
6. Place the cooked joint on a warmed serving dish, remove the string and serve at once with the cranberry sauce.