- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cranberry Bread Recipe
|Unbleached flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole-wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Corn meal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cranberries||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), finely chopped|
|Anise seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Yogurt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Preferably Nonfat)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg substitute||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 598 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.1%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11.3 mg
Sodium 376.1 mg15.7%
Total Carbohydrates 115 g38.4%
Dietary Fiber 10.7 g42.8%
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 21 g41.1%
Vitamin A 2.8% Vitamin C 5.9%
Calcium 43.4% Iron 39.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. In a bowl, combine the yogurt, buttermilk, egg substitute, and honey.
3. In a large bowl, sift the unbleached flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. Add the cranberries and anise seeds.
5. Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour bowl.
6. Mix well, using a large rubber spatula.
7. On a floured board, knead the dough to form mound shape of 7-inch thickness.
8. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray and place the dough on the sheet.
9. Use a sharp knife to slash an "X" in the top, about 1/2 inch deep (to help keep the loaf from splitting raggedly as it rises).
10. Sprinkle the top with a bit of unbleached flour.
11. Bake at 450°F for about 30 minutes, or until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
12. Remove from the oven and let stand about 20 minutes before slicing.
13. Cranberry bread should be served warm to get the best taste.
14. Arrange the bread on a serving platter with a couple of cranberry pieces on the side.