- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cranberries Chicken Recipe
|Chicken||3 Pound, cut into pieces|
|Cranberry juice||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Basil leaves/1/2 tablespoon dried basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), lightly crushed to bruise the leaves|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Raspberry vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cornstarch||1 Teaspoon, mixed|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon, cut into pieces|
Calories 1096 Calories from Fat 368
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g62.8%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 236 mg
Sodium 253.7 mg10.6%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g13%
Sugars 106.8 g
Protein 70 g139.4%
Vitamin A 12.5% Vitamin C 212.9%
Calcium 25.2% Iron 16.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a large, nonreactive pot and boil 5 cups of the cranberry juice with the basil and onion for 10 minutes.
2) Keep aside to cool and marinate the chicken pieces in it, tossing the pieces occasionally, for two hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
3) Cover the chicken pieces with enough water, if needed and bring to a boil.
4) Reduce the heat and cover the pot partially.
5) Gently poach the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife and skim the foam from the surface.
6) Allow the cranberries to simmer in 2 cups of juice with the sugar for about seven minutes till they almost burst and then discard the liquid after draining.
7) To a heated serving platter, transfer the chicken and cover it to keep warm.
8) Return the poaching liquid to the pot after straining.
9) Pour in vinegar and bring liquid to a boil.
10) Cook for 15 to 25 minutes over medium-high heat till the liquid is reduced and thickened to about 1 1/2 cups.
11) Add in the cornstarch mixture and the cooked cranberries, stir and boil for two or three minutes till the sauce is thickened a bit.
12) Add in butter after removing the pot from the heat.
13) Pour some sauce over the chicken and serve warm with the rest.