- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cracked Wheat Bread Recipe
|Bulgur||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Cracked Wheat)|
|Wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3291 Calories from Fat 406
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g71.9%
Saturated Fat 24.8 g123.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 96.8 mg
Sodium 5872.6 mg244.7%
Total Carbohydrates 636 g212%
Dietary Fiber 56.7 g227%
Sugars 64 g
Protein 96 g191.2%
Vitamin A 22.9% Vitamin C 0.77%
Calcium 19.7% Iron 202.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Meanwhile, in bowl, combine whole-wheat flour and 4 cups all-purpose flour; set aside. In large bowl, combine salt, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups flour mixture. In 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat honey, butter or margarine, and 1 1/2 cups water until very warm (120° to 130°F.). Butter or margarine does not need to melt.
3. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid mixture into yeast mixture just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Beat in 1 cup flour mixture to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. Stir in bulgur and 2 cups flour mixture to make a soft dough.
4. Lightly sprinkle work surface with all-purpose flour; turn dough onto surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in remaining flour mixture while kneading. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F.) until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto floured surface; cut in half; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Grease two 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" loaf pans.
6. Shape each half of dough into loaf; place, seam side down, in loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake loaves 30 to 35 minutes until loaves test done. Remove loaves from pans; cool on wire racks.