- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Crab Newburg Souffle Recipe
|Onion||1 Small, chopped to make 1/4 cups|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White pepper||1 Dash|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Shredded swiss cheese||4 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Frozen crab meat/1 can of 7 ounces tuna / 1 can of 8 ounces red salmon, drained and flaked||6 Ounce, thawed|
|Frozen asparagus||10 Ounce, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 240
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.9%
Saturated Fat 15.9 g79.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 208.1 mg
Sodium 483.7 mg20.2%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6.2%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 20 g40%
Vitamin A 26.6% Vitamin C 27.6%
Calcium 29.7% Iron 8.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease a 2-quart (8-cup) soufflé or oven-to–table baking dish. You could use 6 individual soufflé cups as well
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. In a large non-stick saucepan, melt butter or margarine.
4. Add onion and sauté until soft.
5. Add flour, salt and pepper to the pan, stirring until mixture begins to froth.
6. Gradually stir in 2 cups of milk and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and smooth.
7. Remove 1 cup of sauce into a medium-size bowl.
8. Into the remaining sauce in pan, add cheese and dry mustard and stir until well blended and sauce is bubbly. Take pan off the heat.
9. Into the sauce removed in bowl, stir crab or tuna, asparagus, remaining milk and sherry.
10. Turn the seafood mixture into greased dish/dishes and spread, distributing the seafood chunks evenly
11. Add egg whites to electric mixer bowl and beat until stiff.
12. Add egg yolks to smaller bowl of mixer and beat well.
13. Stir egg yolks into cheese sauce and blend well.
14. Gently fold beaten whites into cheese sauce with a wooden spoon or wire whisk.
15. Pour sauce over seafood mixture in soufflé dish.
16. Place immediately in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes until soufflé is golden and puffed.
17. Take soufflés straight from oven to the table and serve immediately while hot and puffed.