- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moroccan Couscous with Vegetables Recipe Video
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Carrot||3 , peeled, cut lengthwise into 2 inch pieces|
|Zucchini||1 , cut lengthwise into 4|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Potato/Sweet potato||1 Large, peeled, cut into large chunks|
|Parsnip||1 , peeled, cut lengthwise into 2 inch pieces|
|Butternut squash/Pumpkin piece||1⁄4 Small|
|Couscous||500 Gram (1 box)|
|Canned chick pea||14 Ounce (1 can)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Vegetable broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs) (as required)|
Calories 895 Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.1%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg
Sodium 1340 mg55.8%
Total Carbohydrates 161 g53.8%
Dietary Fiber 19.3 g77.2%
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 26 g52%
Vitamin A 302.1% Vitamin C 108.2%
Calcium 17.3% Iron 30.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Put the onions and sauté for few minutes or till translucent. Add the garlic, parsley and coriander and continue to sauté for few more minutes or till garlic is fragrant.
2. Put half of all the spices while stirring continuously. Pour the vegetable broth and stir to mix.
3. Add the potatoes, cover and bring it to boil. Pour water till potatoes are covered. Place the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes, add the carrots. Cover with lid and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes put the parsnip and cook covered for 15 more minutes. Then add the zucchini pieces, cover and resume cooking for another 10 minutes.
6. Put the butternut squash and season with rest of the spices and tomato paste. Stir to mix well. Pour more water if required till all vegetables are covered.
7. Place the lid and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas. Cover and cook till all the vegetables are completely cooked and soft (check by poking with a fork). Turn off the heat.
8. COUSCOUS: In another pot, bring water to boil. Put the couscous and cook according to the instructions on the pack. Transfer into a large bowl, put butter and fluff it up with a fork.
9. In a serving platter, place the couscous in the center. Pour the gravy all over the couscous and put all the vegetables and chickpeas on top with more gravy.
If you are adding meat or chicken to the couscous, double the amount of spices.
Vegetables such as cabbage can also be added. Make sure to let the harder vegetables half cook before adding the softer vegetables. This way all vegetables will be evenly cooked at the end.
Check the water in between cooking and keep adding as and when required to avoid burning of vegetables.