- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Couscous Stuffed Yellow Squash Recipe
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Small, finely chopped|
|Sweet green pepper||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Ham||4 Ounce, baked|
|Reduced sodium reduced fat baked ham||4 Ounce|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken stock||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Low sodium tomato juice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Couscous||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned red kidney beans||15 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Yellow squash||6 , halved lengthwise and seeded|
Calories 744 Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.4%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.6 mg
Sodium 484.1 mg20.2%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g42.1%
Dietary Fiber 30.5 g122%
Sugars 46.8 g
Protein 49 g98.8%
Vitamin A 19.8% Vitamin C 78.1%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 13.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Set the oven temperature to 350°F before baking.
2) Take a large nonstick skillet and heat oil in it.
3) Add in onions, sweet pepper, and garlic and sauté for about 7 minutes.
4) Mix in diced ham and stir cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil after pouring in stock, 3/4 cup tomato juice and seasonings.
6) Mix in couscous and then take off the mixture from heat, covering.
7) Allow the couscous to absorb the liquid and soften by keeping the mixture aside for 5 minutes.
8) Pour in remaining tomato juice and beans and lightly fluff up the grains with a fork.
9) Fill the squash with this stuffing and then bake in a roasting pan for about 25 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven until soft.
10) Serve hot.