- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Country Style Gravy Recipe
|Whole wheat pastry flour||4 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 232 Calories from Fat 143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.8%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 43.6 mg
Sodium 1016.4 mg42.3%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.1%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 5 g10.7%
Vitamin A 9.9% Vitamin C 0.44%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 4.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a medium heavy bottomed skillet, melt the butter over a low flame,
2. When the butter has started foaming, stir the flour into the butter and sauté to form a smooth paste.
4. Taking the pan off the flame, gradually pour in the milk and water mixture, whisking continuously until well blended with the flour and butter mixture.
5. Return the skillet on the flame and simmer, stirring constantly to prevent formation of lumps.
6. When the sauce has thickened, season it with salt and pepper.
7. Use the sauce as an accompaniment to meat, fish or vegetables.
8. You can also use the sauce to make stews, soups and pies.