- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Country Style Cornbread Recipe
|Whole wheat pastry flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk/Soy milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 1274 Calories from Fat 399
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.8%
Saturated Fat 25.5 g127.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 107.7 mg
Sodium 829.3 mg34.6%
Total Carbohydrates 207 g68.9%
Dietary Fiber 15.3 g61.1%
Sugars 71.4 g
Protein 21 g42.2%
Vitamin A 24.6% Vitamin C 0.62%
Calcium 28.5% Iron 36.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Grease a 9 X 12 inch baking pan with oil or butter and dust with corn meal.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour, corn meal, baking powder, soda and salt.
4. In another mixing bowl, use a wire whisk or an electric beater to beat the butter until it is creamy and light.
5. Beat in the honey and milk.
6. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, gently stir in the sifted ingredients into the butter mixture.
7. Using pattern 8 movements, fold in the dry ingredients to get a smooth runny batter. Avoid beating batter.
8. Pour the batter into the greased baking pan.
9. Place the baking pan on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 1 to 1 ¼ hours until the bread has risen and is springy to tough and lightly browned.
10. Remove the tray from the oven and allow the corn bread to cool slightly before serving.
11. Serve the corn bread soup, lentil curry or stew.