- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Country Style Beef Stew Recipe
|Stewing beef||2 Pound, cut in 3/4-inch cubes|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock/Hot water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Balsamic vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Potatoes||6 , cut in eighths|
|Carrots||5 , thinly sliced|
|Celery||1 , diced|
Calories 577 Calories from Fat 118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.2%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g21%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 973.9 mg40.6%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g24.8%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.6%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 39 g77.7%
Vitamin A 171.6% Vitamin C 90.8%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 27.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the meat by dusting it with flour and pepper.
2. In large skillet in 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) of hot oil over medium heat brown half of the meat and remove from skillet.
3. Repeat with remaining oil and meat and transfer to 12-cup (3 liter) casserole.
4. To the skillet add stock, deglaze by stirring up brown bits and pour it over the meat.
5. Then stir in chopped onion, vinegar, tomato paste (if using), Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic and bay leaf.
6. Right on top of the mixture cover setting a microwaveable plate to keep meat immersed in liquid during cooking.
7. Cover with lid and microwave at High for 5 minutes.
8. Then reduce heat to Medium (50%) and microwave, covered for 40 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
9. Remove plate and bay leaf and stir in potatoes, small onions, carrots and celery.
10. Microwave with cover at Medium (70%) for 35 to 40 minutes until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring halfway through.
11. Let it stand covered, for 10 minutes and serve hot.