- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cottage Broth Recipe
|Lamb neck||2 1⁄2 Pound, cut crosswise through bone|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pearl barley||2 Tablespoon|
|Peeled potato||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (1/4 Inch)|
|Pared carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced (1/4 Inch)|
|Pared turnip||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced (1/4 Inch)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 416 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.6%
Saturated Fat 14.6 g73.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95 mg
Sodium 745.8 mg31.1%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.4%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 25 g49.1%
Vitamin A 54% Vitamin C 22.4%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wipe lamb with damp paper towels.
2. In 6-quart kettle or Dutch oven, combine lamb, salt, pepper- corns, barley and 1-1/2 quarts water.
3. Bring to boiling simmer, covered for 2 hours and remove lamb from broth.
4. Separate meat from fat and bones cut in 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
5. Skim fat from broth and measure broth to get 5 cups and add water if needed.
6. Return broth to kettle add meat and chill overnight.
7. Next day, remove fat from broth and discard.
8. Bring to boiling and add vegetables.
9. Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour.
10. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.