- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cottage Pie With Ale Recipe
|Vegetable oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Onions||2 Medium, skinned and thinly sliced|
|Demerara sugar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Garlic clove||1 Small, skinned and crushed|
|Lean minced beef||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Plain flour||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Brown ale||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, peeled and diced evenly (900 Gram)|
|French mustard||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Milk||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (Size 2)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2318 Calories from Fat 932
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 105 g160.8%
Saturated Fat 44 g219.8%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 559.7 mg
Sodium 1437.8 mg59.9%
Total Carbohydrates 238 g79.4%
Dietary Fiber 28.2 g112.9%
Sugars 46 g
Protein 125 g250.7%
Vitamin A 48.5% Vitamin C 385.3%
Calcium 42.7% Iron 114.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Uncover the howl and add the mince, then stir well and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, stirring to break up the mince. Stir the flour into the mince, then add the stock, ale and hay leaves. Three-quarters cover with cling film, then microwave on HIGH for 20-25 minutes until cooked.
3. Remove the cooked minced beef from the oven and skim any excess fat from the surface. Season it very well with salt and pepper, cover the meat and put it aside.
4. Put the potatoes into a 2.8 litre (5 pint) ovenproof glass howl and add 60 ml (4 tbsp) cold water. Three-quarters cover with cling film and microwave on HIGH for 8-10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked, stirring once or twice. Remove them from the oven and allow them to stand for 2-3 minutes.
5. Drain any excess water from the potatoes, then mash them well and beat in the mustard, milk, egg and butter, heating the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy. Season well.
6. Spoon the cooked minced beef into a shallow, ovenproof serving dish, then spoon or pipe the mashed potato over the top of the mince.
7. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 4-5 minutes until the cottage pie is piping hot. Garnish it with chopped parsley. (If preferred, the cottage pie may be browned under a hot grill just before serving.)