- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cottage Pie Recipe Video
|Beef||250 Gram, lean minced|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||125 Milliliter|
|Plain flour||10 Gram|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (to shallow fry)|
|Sea salt/Pepper||2 Tablespoon|
|Mash potato mix||300 Gram (in a pack without cream, butter or milk)|
|Egg||1 Small (for egg wash)|
|Mushroom sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs) (as accompaniment)|
Calories 1235 Calories from Fat 1058
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 119 g183.8%
Saturated Fat 17.9 g89.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.4 mg
Sodium 2835.2 mg118.1%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.6%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 19 g38.1%
Vitamin A 55.2% Vitamin C 8%
Calcium 5.8% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Peel and finely dice the onions.
2. Wash, peel and rewash the carrot and cut into fine dice.
3. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth and cut into fine dice.
4. Break the egg into a small bowl, beat and put aside for the egg wash.
5. Prepare the mash potato mix as per the directions on the package.
6. In a heavy-based saucepan heat a touch of oil over a medium heat, add onions and allow them to sweat the onion for a few moments until the onion is soft.
7. Next, add the minced beef and diced carrot to the pan and continue to cook for a few minutes until the beef begins to color.
8. Mix in the diced mushrooms, stir in the flour and cook for a further minute or two to allow the flour to cook out.
9. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the tomato purée.
10. Pour the beef stock into another saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
11. Return the minced beef to the heat and slowly stir in the hot beef stock, a little at a time.
12. Season to taste, turn down the heat and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
13. Then, spoon it into an ovenproof dish and allow it to cool slightly.
14. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
15. When the mince beef has cooled, carefully spoon the mashed potato on top.
16. Using a damp knife smooth out the mashed potato to cover the top of the pie.
17. Then using a dinner fork run it over the pie a few times to slightly rough up the potato.
18. Place the cottage pie on a baking tray and gently egg wash the top and place into the pre-heated oven to bake for about 35–40 minutes, until the top of the cottage pie is a light golden brown.
19. Remove the cottage pie from the oven and spoon the cottage pie onto warmed plates and serve with an accompaniment of hot mushroom sauce.