- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cornmeal and Broccoli Soup Recipe Video
|For the soup|
|Broccoli soup mix||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Broccoli florets||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), boiled|
|For the cornbread|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cheese blend||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shortening||3 Tablespoon (+ 1 Tablespoon for the base)|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 350 Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.7%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.9%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 40.8 mg
Sodium 747.6 mg31.2%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.8%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 12 g23.3%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C 22.7%
Calcium 16.6% Iron 13.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. For the broccoli soup: In a pot on medium high, boil water and add the broccoli soup mix. Stir well and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until thick.
3. For the cornbread: In a pan, melt 3 tablespoon of shortening in the oven.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add and combine flour, cornmeal, cheese blend and salt. Mix well and set aside.
5. In another mixing bowl, add and combine milk, buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well and incorporate it into the dry ingredients.
6. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the melted shortening and mix until just combined.
7. Take the baking pan with the melted shortening and pour the cornbread batter evenly into the pan. Bake this in the preheated oven at 400 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Stir the broccoli into the soup and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
9. Serve the broccoli soup with cornbread.