- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cornmeal Pancakes with Warm Persimmon Sauce Recipe Video
|Coconut oil||2 Teaspoon (plus a little more for cooking)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Maple syrup||1⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Roasted almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (chopped; optional for topping)|
|Persimmons||6 (Peeled and diced)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
Calories 479 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.7%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg
Sodium 705.8 mg29.4%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.6%
Sugars 35.2 g
Protein 11 g22.7%
Vitamin A 69.8% Vitamin C 26.9%
Calcium 27.2% Iron 13.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
6 persimmons, peeled and diced
1 t lemon juice
1/3 C water
1/4 t cinnamon
1 T honey
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Stirring often, cook for about 30 minutes, or until persimmons are soft. (Optional: At about the 20 minute mark, when persimmons are fairly soft, mash with a fork to desired consistency. A potato masher, hand blender, or food processor could also be used.)
For the Pancakes:
2 t coconut oil (plus a little more for cooking)
1 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
1/4 T maple syrup
1 C cornmeal
1/2 C buttermilk
roasted almonds, chopped (optional – for topping)
1. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
3. Whisk all ingredients together.
4. Let stand 5 minutes. (The batter should be pretty thin.)
5. Put a little bit of coconut oil on the hot griddle, over medium-low heat. Pour a small amount of batter in a circle (about 1/8 C or less).
6. Cook about 2 minutes on the first side (until the bubbles that form stay, and don’t pop and disappear), flip, cook about 1 minute on the second side.
Top with Warm Persimmon Sauce, chopped almonds, and maple syrup.