- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Large, beaten|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned cream style corn||8 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried sage||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary/Thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Nonstick vegetable oil spray||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped to make 2 cups|
|Butternut squash||2 Cup (32 tbs), peeled and finely diced (1/2 Medium)|
|Apple||1 , peeled, cored, and finely diced (Golden Delicious Or Granny Smith)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg||1 Large, lightly beaten|
|Apple juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken broth/Canned reduced sodium broth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 123
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.4%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg
Sodium 593.2 mg24.7%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.4%
Sugars 13.2 g
Protein 10 g20.6%
Vitamin A 106.8% Vitamin C 32.7%
Calcium 27.8% Iron 19%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven hot to 400°F.
2) Make the cornbread: In a large mixing bowl sift first five ingredients.
3) In another bowl add buttermilk, eggs, oil, corn, and dried herbs and whisk together.
4) Add buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and mix thoroughly.
5) In an 8-inch square baking pan spray with nonstick vegetable oil spray.
6) Pour the batter into it and bake the cornbread in oven for 20 minutes.
7) Place the cornbread to a rack and let it cool.
8) When cool, cut into cubes or coarsely crumble it.
9) Transfer it into a mixing bowl.
10) Make the stuffing: In a shallow roasting pan arrange onion, squash, and apple in one layer.
11) Toss with olive oil and roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
12) Add celery and roast the vegetables for further 5 minutes.
13) Transfer vegetables into a bowl and mix with cornbread, along with egg, apple juice, chicken broth, salt and pepper and stir gently.
14) Pour the mixture to a casserole dish sprayed with nonstick vegetable oil spray.
15) Cover tightly and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F.
16) Increase heat to 450°E and bake uncovered for 10 more till golden on top.
17) Serve hot.
To make the dish more hearty, add 1 pound crumbled, cooked, and drained lean turkey or chicken sausage.