- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Corn Tamales Recipe
|Ears of white corn/Ears of green corn||60 (5 Dozens)|
|Longhorn cheese/Mexican cheese||2 Pound, shredded|
|Green chile||4 Cup (64 tbs), roasted|
|Corn husks||1 Large (As Required)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 23639 Calories from Fat 4712
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 548 g843.7%
Saturated Fat 219.5 g1097.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 861.8 mg
Sodium 19038.8 mg793.3%
Total Carbohydrates 4120 g1373.2%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36%
Sugars 65.3 g
Protein 736 g1472.4%
Vitamin A 321.8% Vitamin C 2424.7%
Calcium 670.8% Iron 891.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Dehusk the corn by cutting off 2 to 3 inches off the top and slicing off the base. This cuts off the tip of the cob and the silk of the corn.
2) Pull the husks away, rinse, drain and put aside.
3) Using a sharp knife, scrape the kernels off the cob with slicing the latter.
4) Grind the collected kernels to a thick powder, called the masa, using a blender or meat grinder. Set aside.
5) In a large bowl, add salt, sugar, cheese and green chiles.
6) Open up a large husk, and place 2 tablespoons of masa in the centre.
7) Spoon a tablespoon of the cheese and chili mixture and place it on top of the masa.
8) Fold over the right edge of the husk towards the left side of the filling. Holding the end tight with one finger, fold the left side of the husk to the right of the filling.
9) Now, roll the bottom third of the husk up and turn the tamale over.
10) Repeat the process till all the chili-cheese mixture is used up.
11) Place the tamales on a large plate with their open side facing up. Place in the freezer or refrigerator for a few minutes, allowing it to congeal.
12) Close shut the lose end and place in a steamer with the closed side facing down.
13) On a low flame, steam the corn tamales for about 90 minutes.
14) Serve the steamed corn tamales with spicy salsa.