- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Corn And Tomato Chowder Recipe
|Peeled diced plum tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Salt||3⁄4 Teaspoon, divided|
|Ears of corn||2 , husks removed|
|Finely chopped shallots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Evaporated skim milk||12 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped fresh sage/1 teaspoon rubbed sage||1 Tablespoon|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 43
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.5%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 650.2 mg27.1%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.6%
Sugars 20.1 g
Protein 13 g26.1%
Vitamin A 36.6% Vitamin C 38.6%
Calcium 32.6% Iron 14.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place stainless steal colander over a bowl and place tomatoes in it.
2. Sprinkle tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to mix
3. Let drain for at least 1 hour.
4. Slice corn kernels off ears into a small bowl.
5. Into the same bowl scrape cobs, with blunt side of knife, to remove the milk. Keep aside.
6. Break one cob in half and discard the other.
7. In a heavy bottom, medium size pan, melt margarine
8. When hot, add shallots and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent but not browned.
9. Stir in broth, milk, black pepper, sage and reserved corn cob halves.
10. Increase heat and bring liquid to a rapid boil.
11. Then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
12. Remove and discard cob halves.
13. Stir in corn, boil and then simmer another 15 minutes until tender.
14. Add cornstarch blended in cold water and stir cooking until soup thickens.
15. Take pan off heat and add tomatoes.
16. Taste and adjust reasoning.
17. Ladle hot soup into warmed soup bowls
18. Garnish with sage.
19. Serve with whole wheat crust bread or soup sticks if you like.