- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Coriander Cured Fillets with Sweet Onion Confit and Green Chile Spoon Bread Recipe
|For the coriander cure:|
|Coriander seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black peppercorns||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shallots||4 , minced|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Kosher salt/1/2 cup table salt||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||6 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the steaks:|
|Mignon steaks||32 Ounce (4 Fillets, 8 Ounce Each)|
|For the green chile spoon bread:|
|Corn kernels||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), cut from 1 large ear|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Minced garlic||2 Teaspoon, roasted|
|Poblano chile||1 Large|
|New mexico chile/Jalapeno chiles 4, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced||2 , green, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced|
|Serrano chile||1 , seeded and minced|
|Diced green bell pepper||3 Tablespoon|
|Diced red bell pepper||3 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|For the sweet onion confit:|
|Sweet onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced (Such As Texas Spring Sweet, Noonday, / Vidalia)|
|White wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Sage sprig||4 (For Garnish)|
Calories 1329 Calories from Fat 743
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 83 g128.4%
Saturated Fat 32.3 g161.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 363 mg
Sodium 1798.2 mg74.9%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.3%
Dietary Fiber 23.3 g93.1%
Sugars 18.1 g
Protein 63 g126.6%
Vitamin A 83.7% Vitamin C 89.7%
Calcium 74.7% Iron 86.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a food processor, pulse coriander seeds and peppercorns for about 1 minute until coarsely ground.
2. Add the shallots, garlic, salt, and sugar, and pulse again.
3. While the machine is still running; pour oil in a slow, steady stream until the mixture forms a thick paste.
4. Remove the coriander cure mixture into a shallow dish.
5. Add the steaks and coat it evenly from all sides.
6. Wrap the cured steaks with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes; turn the meat occasionally.
7. Preheat oven to 325Â° f.
8. Grease a 1 1/2 -quart baking dish or soufflÃ© dish or individual 6-ounce ramekins lightly with oil.
9. In a heavy sautÃ© pan or skillet, melt butter, sautÃ© onions over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
10. Stir in sugar and sautÃ© just until dissolved.
11. Add vinegar in the pan to deglaze.
12. Cook the mixture for 3 to 5 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.
13. Season with salt and keep the onion confit warm.
14. In a hot, dry, heavy cast-iron skillet, place corn in a single layer and dry-roast for 4 to 5 minutes until scorched and dark; toss continuously.
15. Keep aside.
16. In a large saucepan, pour milk and stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
17. Boil the mixture for 30 seconds and then reduce the heat to medium.
18. Stir in cornmeal until smooth.
19. Remove the pan from the heat.
20. Add salt, pepper, and butter; stir until thoroughly combined.
21. Transfer the milk and stock mixture to a large mixing bowl.
22. Stir in the roasted corn, garlic, chiles, bell peppers, and cream until thoroughly mixed together.
23. Keep aside and allow it to cool down.
24. Add egg yolks into the mixture and whisk.
25. In a egg beater or food processor, beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
26. Gently fold the beaten egg white into the mixture.
27. Into the prepared dish or ramekins, pour the mixture to fill 3/4th.
28. Place the dish inside a water bath or larger pan.
29. Pour very hot water to the water bath until the level reaches about 1 inch up the side of the spoon bread dish.
30. Keep the entire pan along with the water to the oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes (depending on the type of dish or ramekins used) until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
31. After the first 25-30 minutes, check the spoon bread; if it is browning too quickly, cover with aluminum foil and bake further.
32. While the spoon bread is getting ready, prepare the onion confit.
33. In a heavy sautÃ© pan or skillet, heat vegetable oil until lightly smoky.
34. Remove the steaks from the cure and season with salt and pepper.
35. Add the steaks in the pan and sear over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare or 7 to 8 minutes per side for medium.
36. In each of the warm serving plate, center a filet and top with the onion confit.
37. Place the hot spoon bread next to the steak.
38. Garnish with sage and serve immediately.