- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
The Classic French Coq Au Vin Recipe
|Poussins/3 young chickens, about 2 pounds each||6 Pound, rinsed well and patted dry (Six 1 Pound Each Pieces)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs), defatted|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Pancetta/Bacon slab||8 Ounce, rind discarded, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Carrots||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths (Medium Ones)|
|Shallots||12 Ounce, peeled|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, unsalted|
|White mushrooms||2 Pound, wiped clean, stems trimmed, caps quartered|
|Dry red wine||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Full Bodied, Such As Burgundy)|
|Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Red currant jelly||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon (Light Or Dark, Packed)|
|Thyme leaves/1 teaspoon dried thyme||1 Tablespoon|
|Coarse salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Flat-leaf parsley||6 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 1388 Calories from Fat 737
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 85 g130.1%
Saturated Fat 27.1 g135.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 397.4 mg
Sodium 1780.2 mg74.2%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15.1%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20.1%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 90 g180%
Vitamin A 298% Vitamin C 65.8%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 20.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 375Â°F before baking.
2) Quarter the poussins, remove the backbones and wing tips and keep aside.
3) In a large sauce pan, over low heat, simmer poussins with the backs and wing tips for 20 minutes to enrich the broth.
4) Strain the broth, saving it for later use.
5) In a large heavy casserole, heat the oil over medium heat and sautÃ© pancetta in it for about 10 minutes until fat is rendered and the edges begin to brown.
6) Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta to a paper towel.
7) In the same casserole, brown the poussin pieces for about 4 minutes on each side, in small batches and then keep aside.
8) SautÃ© carrots and shallots in the same casserole for about 10 minutes, over medium-low heat, until they just begin to brown.
9) Mix in garlic and cook for 5 minutes longer.
10) Add in butter and mushrooms and cook them for 5 minutes over medium heat.
11) Stir in corn-starch and cook for 1 minute longer.
12) Pour in enriched chicken broth, wine, and Cognac and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
13) Thicken the sauce by cooking and scraping the bottom occasionally to loosen browned bits, for about 5 minutes.
14) Mix in tomato paste, red currant jelly, brown sugar, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
15) Stir in poussins and pancetta gently.
16) Cover and bake the mixture for 30 minutes in preheated oven.
17) Take off the cover and bake again for about 30 minutes longer, stirring carefully, until the poussins are cooked well and the carrots are soft.
18) Season to taste and mix in 4 tablespoons of parsley.
19) Garnish with remaining parsley and serve hot at once.