- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rich Coq Au Vin Recipe
|Whole chicken||2 , cut into serving pieces|
|Thyme||1 Teaspoon, pulverized|
|Bay leaves||1 Teaspoon, pulverized|
|Salt pork||3⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|Butter||5 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red wine||300 Milliliter, bourgogne, 2/5 bottles|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
Calories 1199 Calories from Fat 783
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 87 g134.1%
Saturated Fat 31.3 g156.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 287.8 mg
Sodium 747.3 mg31.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.3%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 62 g124%
Vitamin A 17.4% Vitamin C 41.6%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a bowl, place the chicken season with salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
2) In a pot, bring water to boil and blanch the salt pork for 5 minutes.
3) Pork of the water and drain the salt pork..
4) In a saucepan, melt 2 ounces of butter and sauté together salt pork, onions, and mushrooms.
5) Transfer the salt pork mixture into a Dutch oven or any large cooking pan.
6) In the same pan, heat oil and saute chicken.
7) Put the chicken over the salt pork mixture in Dutch oven.
8) In the same saucepan, heat cognac and scrape bottom and sides with wooden spoon.
9) Allow the cognac to Ignite and immediately stream over chicken.
10) Pour the red wine in the Dutch oven and heat to boil.
11) Mix in the garlic, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
12) In a non-stick pan, heat the remaining butter and beat in the flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, into until well blended, set aside.
13) Using a slotted spoon take the chicken out and place it on a serving platter, keep warm.
14) Stirring continuously, add the flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the still-hot salt pork mixture and sauce in the Dutch oven, heat after each addition.
15) Using a ladle skim off the fat from sauce.
16) Pass the sauce through strainer and reserve.
17) Place the salt pork over the chicken and spoon the sauce over everything.
18) Surround with pieces of toast if desired and serve.