- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cooking Collard Greens Recipe Video
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped finely|
|Chicken base||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cubed ham||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Collard greens||1 Pound|
Calories 89 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.9%
Saturated Fat 0.6 g3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.3 mg0.4%
Sodium 448 mg18.7%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 3 g6.6%
Vitamin A 151.2% Vitamin C 72.2%
Calcium 17.7% Iron 1.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Rip the collard greens of the main stem and rinse it under cold water running water.
2. While rinsing tear the leaves in small pieces and rinse well.
3. Drain the torn leaves and set aside.
4. In a saucepan, heat olive oil and saute garlic and onion until they are soft.
5. Put the greens over the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Put in the chicken base and pour water over it.
7. Sprinkle the ham on top, cover with lid and cook on medium heat and cook until the greens wilts down.
8. Remove the lid check if the water is still there and add more if needed.
9. Cover and cook on low heat for about 90 to 120 minutes or until the leaves are dark in colour.
10. Serve hot as desired.