- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cooked Dressing for Sandwich Spread Recipe
|Thick sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated onion||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 862 Calories from Fat 535
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.7%
Saturated Fat 32.2 g161.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 682.4 mg
Sodium 2179.6 mg90.8%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.78 g3.1%
Sugars 49.9 g
Protein 17 g33.3%
Vitamin A 41% Vitamin C 4.3%
Calcium 45.1% Iron 20%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare a double boiler. Place a saucepan filled with 3 inches of water over a medium-low flame and allow the water to simmer.
2. Fit a bowl into the saucepan such the base of the bowl does not come in direct contact with the simmering water.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, mustard and celery seed.
4. In the bowl of the double boiler, add the cream, milk and vinegar.
5. Blend the egg yolks into the cream mixture.
6. Add the dry ingredients and blend in, stirring vigorously.
7. Cook the mixture, stirring continuously until it is smooth and thick
8. Take the bowl off the heat and stir in grated onion if using.
9. When cool, spoon into a sterilized jar and refrigerate.
10. This is a delicious spread or dressing and can be used with odds and ends of baked ham leftovers, hock or butt-end, or as a sandwich spread.