- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Continental Bread Recipe
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), scalded|
|Dry cake yeast/1 cake compressed yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine/shortening||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|White flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
|Lard/Shortening||1 Teaspoon (For greasing)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2272 Calories from Fat 307
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.7%
Saturated Fat 18.7 g93.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 82.3 mg
Sodium 4081.9 mg170.1%
Total Carbohydrates 413 g137.6%
Dietary Fiber 16.7 g66.6%
Sugars 26.9 g
Protein 72 g143.3%
Vitamin A 18.2% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 47.9% Iron 143.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Soften yeast in the lukewarm water. Add the softened yeast to the cooled milk; also add the butter, margarine or shortening and the 1 tablespoon of sugar and mix thoroughly.
3. Sift into a large mixing bowl the flour, salt and sugar. Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the yeast mixture and stir thoroughly. Cover the bowl with a clean damp cloth and set it in a warm, not hot, place to rise, about 2 hours.
4. Sprinkle the bread board lightly with flour. Rub a cookie sheet with shortening or lard.
5. Punch down the dough. Turn it out onto the board and cut the dough into 2 equal parts. Form and roll each piece into a long thin loaf. Place the 2 loaves on the cookie sheet. Cut diagonal slits across the top of each loaf. Place the pan in a warm, not hot, place. Let the loaves rise to slighlty more than double in bulk.
6. Start oven, set at Moderately Hot, 400° F. Place a shallow pan of hot water on the bottom shelf of the oven.
7. Bake the loaves 15 minutes, then reduce heat to Moderate, 350° F., and continue baking 30 minutes longer. Remove the pan from the oven 5 minutes before the bread is finished baking and brush the loaves with a mixture of the beaten egg white and water. Return the pan to the oven and bake 5 minutes longer.