- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Colonial Oatmeal Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Whole wheat flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Quick cooking oats||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Uncooked)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4511 Calories from Fat 669
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g118.6%
Saturated Fat 36.3 g181.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 340.5 mg
Sodium 5944.2 mg247.7%
Total Carbohydrates 859 g286.4%
Dietary Fiber 91.3 g365.3%
Sugars 126.7 g
Protein 143 g287%
Vitamin A 35.8% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 36.1% Iron 254%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat honey mixture into dry ingredients just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat in egg and 1 cup whole-wheat flour to make a thick batter; continue beating the batter 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. With wooden spoon, stir in oats, 1 cup whole-wheat flour, and 1 cup all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
3. Lightly sprinkle work surface with all-purpose flour; turn dough onto work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in more all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup) while kneading the dough. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F.) until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and cut in half; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Grease large cookie sheet.
5. Shape each half of dough into 7" by 4" oval, tapering ends slightly; place on cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350°F. With sharp knife, cut 3 to 5 crisscross slashes across top of each loaf; lightly dust tops of loaves with some all-purpose flour. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until loaves test done. Remove loaves from cookie sheet; cool on wire racks.