- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Collard Greens Recipe: How to Cook Southern, Soul Food Collard Greens Recipe Video
|Collard green||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Turkey leg||1 , cooked, smoked|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||To Taste (Optional)|
|Pepper||To Taste (Optional)|
|Vinegar||To Taste (Optional)|
|Hot sauce||To Taste (Optional)|
Calories 256 Calories from Fat 89
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.3%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 76.8 mg
Sodium 1232.7 mg51.4%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.4%
Sugars 4.1 g
Protein 28 g56.2%
Vitamin A 69% Vitamin C 42.8%
Calcium 12% Iron 14.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Remove the collard green leaves from the stems.
2. Wash the collards several times in cold water to remove any dirt and grit. Rinse well and set aside.
3. In a large pot, heat a tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic. Saute until tender.
4. Pour the chicken broth and add red pepper flakes and turkey leg.
5. Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for around 30 minutes.
6. Add in the collard greens. Cook on med-low heat until tender for about 60 minutes.
7. When done, season as desired with few dashes of black pepper and few drops of hot sauce.
8. In a serving plate, serve the turkey leg pieces with the greens.