- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chilled Lemon Souffle Recipe
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Plus A Little More)|
|Lemons||3 Large, grated and freshly squeezed|
|Gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Lemon twists||4 (To Garnish)|
Calories 439 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.8%
Saturated Fat 18.5 g92.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 261.4 mg
Sodium 90.8 mg3.8%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.9%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16.1%
Sugars 25.8 g
Protein 10 g20.7%
Vitamin A 26.2% Vitamin C 103.1%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 7.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Around the outside of a 1-quart soufflé mold, tie a strip of double layer waxed paper in such a way that it rises 3 inches above the rim of the mold.
2. Prepare a double boiler by placing a medium saucepan filled with 3 inches water on a medium low flame.
3. In a small cup, soften gelatin in 3 to 4 tablespoons of cold water
4. In a large mixing bowl, add egg yolks and sugar
5. Beat until blended.
6. Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and beat with a wire whisk, until thick and fluffy.
7. Add lemon rind and gradually add lemon juice, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Take pan off the heat and keep aside to cool.
8. Place cup with gelatin in the pan of simmering water and stir until gelatin completely dissolves.
9. Add the gelatin to the warm egg-lemon mixture and whisk until well blended. Leave to cool.
10. In a clean dry bowl, add egg whites and whisk until stiff, forming soft peaks.
11. Similarly, add cream to a cold bowl and beat using an electric mixer until stiff
12. Fold cream into custard.
13. Gently fold in egg whites, keeping the mixture light and fluffy and not over beating.
14. Taste and adjust by adding more sugar or lemon.
15. Pour mixture into prepared soufflé dish
16. Refrigerate until set and chilled before serving.
17. Carefully peel off paper collar from mold and unmold onto a serving platter.
18. Garnish with more piped whipped cream and a lemon twist if desired.
19. Serve chilled.