- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cold Lamb with Apricot Stuffing Recipe
|Lamb breast||2 , boned|
|Onions||3 , peeled and quartered|
|Carrots||3 , peeled and sliced|
|For apricot stuffing|
|Dried apricots||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Seedless raisins||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Green pepper||1 Large|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||10 Ounce (275 Grams)|
|Butter||3 Ounce (75 Grams)|
Calories 785 Calories from Fat 367
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.4%
Saturated Fat 20.6 g103%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.5 mg
Sodium 676.4 mg28.2%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g23%
Sugars 28.4 g
Protein 46 g92.6%
Vitamin A 124.9% Vitamin C 52.7%
Calcium 12.4% Iron 16.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Trim excess fat from the meat and wipe clean with paper toweling.
2. Rub salt and pepper on both sides.
3. In a saucepan, combine apricots and raisins and cover with cold water.
4. Boil over medium heat until softened.
5. Drain, chop and add to a bowl.
6. Halve, deseed and chop the green pepper.
7. To make the stuffing, in a mixing bowl, combine chopped apricots, raisins, green pepper, bread crumbs and seasonings.
8. Add melted butter to the mixture and stir with a fork to mix thoroughly.
9. On a clean table top or meat board, lay out meat, skin-side down.
10. Spoon and spread equal quantities of the stuffing on the breasts of lamb, keeping it within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the edges.
11. Roll the meat starting from shorter side.
12. Tie with kitchen string.
13. In a large casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter.
14. When butter begins to froth, arrange the stuffed lamb rolls.
15. Sear evenly on all sides
16. Remove and place on a platter and keep aside.
17. To the drippings in the pan, add the onions and carrots and sautÃ© them till they are limp.
18. Arrange the lamb rolls over the bed vegetables.
19. Pour in sufficient water just enough to cover the vegetables.
20. Cover casserole with a lid and cook the meat on a low flame for 1 1/2 hours until tender.
21. Remove the meat logs to a platter.
22. Place a plate over them and press down using a heavy weight.
23. Leave to cool and press overnight
24. Remove the string and trim ends.
25. Slice and arrange on a platter.
26. Serve cold accompanied with a gravy made with pan juices and mint sauce if you like.