- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Coffee Braids Recipe
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cardamom seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Yeast||3 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Flour||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Coffee||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 573 Calories from Fat 115
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g36.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 92.2 mg
Sodium 140.1 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.5%
Sugars 22.8 g
Protein 14 g27.8%
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 0.05%
Calcium 7.8% Iron 27.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 375° F.
2) Take a large bowl and combine in it milk with 1 cup sugar. Stir until completely dissolved.
3) Add butter and stir until melted. Let stand until mixture turns cool.
4) Take a bowl and beat eggs in it until light and frothy.
5) Add cardamom seeds and salt. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
6) Add the milk mixture and beat well.
7) Take 1/4 cup lukewarm water with yeast. Stir until dissolved.
8) Add to the milk mixture.
9) Add 5 cups flour and stir until thoroughly mixed.
10) Gradually add 1 1/2 - 2 cups flour and mix thoroughly.
11) Dough should be slightly sticky.
12) Cover board with remaining flour and knead for about 5 minutes.
13) Place dough in greased bowl and cover with greased waxed paper and towel.
14) Let rise for about 2 hours or until double in bulk.
15) Cut dough into 12 pieces of equal size and roll out each piece into a 12 x 1-inch rope.
16) Braid 3 ropes together to form 4 loaves. Seal the ends firmly.
17) Place on 2 greased cookie sheets and let rise for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until double in bulk.
18) Bake for about 25 minutes.
19) Take a bowl and combine hot coffee with 1/2 cup sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves completely.
20) Remove braids from oven and brush the tops with coffee mixture.
21) Sprinkle tops with sugar and return braids to oven.
22) Bake for another 15 minutes.
23) Transfer to wire rack and cool.
24) Serve the braids with coffee at snack time.