- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Coffee-Rubbed Braised Short Ribs Recipe Video
|Shortrib||3 Pound (bone-in short ribs, (meaty ones), at room temperature)|
|Kosher salt||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Coffee mix||1 Cup (16 tbs), freshly ground|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, roughly chopped|
|Carrot||2 Medium, roughly chopped|
|Celery||2 Ounce, roughly chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), crushed|
|Tomato paste||4 Tablespoon|
|Cabernet||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fire roasted crushed tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 can with liquid)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||2 Gram|
|White vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock/Beef stock||4 Cup (64 tbs) (store-bought or homemade)|
Calories 2143 Calories from Fat 1438
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 160 g245.8%
Saturated Fat 63.9 g319.4%
Trans Fat 3.3 g
Cholesterol 281.8 mg
Sodium 5021.2 mg209.2%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.8%
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g38.9%
Sugars 52.6 g
Protein 68 g136.6%
Vitamin A 126.6% Vitamin C 49.7%
Calcium 22.6% Iron 59.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a shallow bowl, mix salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and ground coffee.
3. Coat all sides of the short ribs with this coffee mixture and save the unused portion of the rub.
4. In a large cast-iron or stainless steel pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted into the oil and begins to give off just a hint of steam, begin searing the short ribs.
5. Sear each side of the short ribs, including the narrows sides, for about 2-3 minutes each side, or until it develops a deep golden brown color.
6. Transfer the short ribs from the pot to a plate.
7. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and the remainder of the coffee rub mixture to the pot. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables have softened and become slightly translucent.
8. Stir in the tomato paste until the vegetables are coated in it and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Add the garlic and cook for 3-4 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Deglaze the pot with red wine, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Cook this for about 3-4 minutes until the alcohol has evaporated.
11. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and its liquid, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, white vinegar, brown sugar and the rosemary sprig.
12. Place the short ribs on top and add enough stock to cover the short ribs and give the ingredients a gentle stir.
13. Bring the pot back to a simmer, cover, and transfer to the oven. Braise for about 3.5 to 4 hours, until the short ribs are fork tender.
14. Serve the braised short ribs the same night or the next along with mashed potatoes and some of the braising liquid.