- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cod And Potato Cakes Recipe
|Frozen cod fillets/Fresh cod fillets||1 Pound, thawed|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|All-purpose potatoes||12 Ounce, peeled and cubed|
|1% low fat milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Corn bread stuffing/Regular bread stuffing||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Frozen peas and carrots||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Canola oil/Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 474 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.3%
Saturated Fat 0.56 g2.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.4 mg
Sodium 704 mg29.3%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.3%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 36 g72.6%
Vitamin A 136.5% Vitamin C 45.9%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 18.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Make sure that the fish fillets are free of any bones.
2. Pat the fillets dry on kitchen paper.
3. In a food processor or blender, combine corn bread or stuffing, thyme, and marjoram. Grind to fine crumbs. Keep aside
4. In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, combine onion, potatoes, milk, water, salt, and pepper.
5. Place over moderate heat and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce flame, cover pan and let simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
7. Drain the potatoes and onions reserving the cooking liquid.
8. Return 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid to potatoes in saucepan.
9. Use a potato masher to make a smooth mash, adding more liquid if necessary. Keep aside.
10. In a large bowl, flake fish into small pieces. Stir in cornbread crumb mixture, mashed potatoes, egg whites, vinegar, peas and carrots. Use your hands to mix well.
11. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each into 4-inch round and 2 ½-inch thick patties.
12. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over moderate heat.
13. Place 4 patties at a time, cover pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
14. Remove on to a warm serving platter and keep hot in a warmed oven
15. Add more oil to the pan and fry remaining 4 patties.
16. Serve the patties hot and crispy with a sauce of your choice.