- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Coconut Flan Recipe
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Shredded coconut/Flaked coconut||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
Calories 207 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.2%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g18.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 148.5 mg
Sodium 118.1 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10%
Dietary Fiber 0.4 g1.6%
Sugars 29.5 g
Protein 7 g13.5%
Vitamin A 4.8% Vitamin C 0.24%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 4.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease 12 custard cups or 1-quart casserole with vegetable oil.
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F and prepare a hot water bath by filling 2 inches water in a baking pan placed in the oven while it is being heated.
3. In a small heavy bottomed skillet, combine sugar and water.
4. Place pan on a medium flame and boil the sugar, stirring constantly, until it melts to a amber syrup.
5. Pour the syrup, dividing it equally, into the greased custard cups or dish.
6. Swirl the cups around so that the caramel coats the bottom and sides evenly. Keep the cups aside while preparing the custard.
7. In a saucepan, add milk and heat it to scalding point, about 82 degree C
8. In the mean time, in a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla extract, just until well blended.
9. While stirring constantly, add the hot milk to the egg mixture, in a slow steady stream.
10. Strain the custard though a fine meshed strainer, into the custard cups
11. Sprinkle coconut to cover the tops of the custard in cups.
12. Place the cups in the hot water bath in the preheated oven and bake custards for 1 hour until set.
13. Remove from the oven and let cool before chilling if you like.
14. Serve the custards warm or chilled.
15. Invert onto individual dessert plates before serving.