- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cocoa Cupcakes and Frosting Recipe Video
|For the cupcakes|
|Organic unbleached white flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Organic whole wheat flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Turbinado sugar/Sucanant||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Non alkali cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Safflower oil/Sunflower oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla/Vanilla powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For fudge frosting|
|Corn starch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Earth balance margarine||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla butter frosting|
|Earth balance buttery sticks||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (at room temperature)|
|Powdered sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Non dairy milk||2 Tablespoon (soy, rice, oat, hemp, etc)|
Calories 311 Calories from Fat 65
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.4%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 7.1 mg
Sodium 186.5 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.9%
Sugars 33 g
Protein 5 g9.4%
Vitamin A 3.6% Vitamin C
Calcium 2.1% Iron 11.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need12 paper cupcake liners
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
For the Cupcakes:
2. Mix the dry ingredients. Whisk in remaining wet ingredients until well blended.
3. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Spoon the batter into the cups: about 2/3 full.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top bounces back when tapped gently.
5. Remove from muffin tin to a cooling rack and cool completely.
For the Fudge Frosting:
6. Put the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa in sauce pan and whisk to mix. Add the water and whisk until blended. Or, blend the water, sugar, cornstarch and cocoa powder in a blender, until smooth.
7. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2 - 2 quart sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened.
8. Whisk in the Earth Balance until blended and then add the vanilla.
9. Cover tightly and cool completely. Whisk, or beat with electric hand mixer before frosting the cupcakes. Use a knife or a pastry bag to frost.
For the Vanilla "Butter" Frosting
10. Beat the Earth Balance with hand mixer. Sift the powdered sugar. Add the powdered sugar and beat until blended.
11. Add 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk and mix. Add the vanilla. If the frosting is still thick, add the remaining tablespoon of non-dairy milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, so that the frosting is spreadable. Beat on high for a minute until creamy.
12. Spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a knife or pastry bag.
13. Serve the cupcakes on a nice platter and enjoy.