- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Peking Duck Recipe
|Fresh duck/4 pound frozen duck||6 Kilogram|
|For honey syrup mixture|
|Lemon||1 , cut into 1/4 inch slices with the rind on|
|Water||2 Pint (1.1 Liters)|
|Dark soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry/Rice wine||5 Fluid Ounce (150 Milliliter)|
|Hoisin sauce||6 Tablespoon|
|Spring onion brushes||24|
Calories 6306 Calories from Fat 5341
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 592 g910.9%
Saturated Fat 198.6 g992.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1140.5 mg
Sodium 2139.5 mg89.1%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 18.3 g
Protein 177 g355%
Vitamin A 68.5% Vitamin C 117%
Calcium 24.7% Iron 209.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to hot, gas mark 9, 475°F, 240°C.
2. Defrost the duck if frozen, rinse well and blot dry with paper towel.
3. Near the neck of the duck, insert a meat hook.
4. In a pot pour all the honey syrup ingredients, put the lemon slices and bring it to a boil.
5. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. With a ladle pour this mixture over the duck several times, until all the skin of the duck is completely soaked in the mixture, as if bathing the duck.
7. Now, hang the duck in a well ventilated, cool place with a roasting tray underneath to dry (or alternatively hang it in front of a cold fan for about 4 - 5 hours, longer if possible).
8. When the duck has dried, the skin will feel like parchment paper.
9. Place the duck on a roasting rack in a roasting pan, breast side up and put 5 fluid ounce 150 ml of water into the roasting pan (this will prevent the fat from splattering).
10. Roast the duck in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
11. Turn down the heat to gas mark 4, 350°F 180°C and roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
12. Take out the duck and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving it.
13. With a cleaver or a sharp knife, meat with skin into thin pieces and arrange them on a warm platter.
14. To serve place the duck meat in the centre and serve immediately with Chinese Pancakes, spring onion brushes and a bowl of hoisin sauce.