- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Pea Soup Recipe
|Dried yellow peas||1 Pound|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||2 3⁄4 Quart|
|Onions||3 Medium, minced|
|Carrots||2 , cubed|
|Celery leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Parsley sprigs||1 , minced|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2567 Calories from Fat 1685
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 187 g287.6%
Saturated Fat 67.2 g336.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 195 mg
Sodium 3453 mg143.9%
Total Carbohydrates 185 g61.8%
Dietary Fiber 29.6 g118.3%
Sugars 44.8 g
Protein 55 g110.6%
Vitamin A 429.5% Vitamin C 103.5%
Calcium 37.7% Iron 34.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Thoroughly wash the peas and drain well.
2) In a large kettle, add peas along with the remaining ingredients.
3) Place the kettle over high heat and bring it to a boil for 2 minutes.
4) Take away from heat and let it stand for 1 hour.
5) After an hour, place the kettle over heat and again bring to a boil.
6) Reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Allow simmering for another hour or so, until the peas are tender.
7) Adjust seasoning of salt and pepper.
8) Strain off the soup into the soup bowls or puree in a blender to have a thick consistency.
9) Serve warm by garnishing with parsley sprig.