- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Italian Casserole Recipe Video
|Italian sausage||1 Pound (hot or sweet)|
|Broccoli rabe||1 Bunch (100 gm), cleaned, broken into big florets|
|Garlic clove||3 Medium, minced|
|Dry pasta||12 Ounce, cooked (cook one minute less as per package instrcutions)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs) (use low fat)|
|Corn starch||2 Tablespoon|
|Pecorino romano cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Italian seasoning||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
Calories 932 Calories from Fat 460
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g77.8%
Saturated Fat 20 g100.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 122.5 mg
Sodium 1613.9 mg67.2%
Total Carbohydrates 82 g27.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 35 g70.1%
Vitamin A 33.3% Vitamin C 10.6%
Calcium 25.5% Iron 21.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. For the breadcrumb topping, mix the topping ingredients together and set it aside.
2. To make the béchamel sauce, in a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat, melt the butter then add the cornstarch and stir until smooth. Continue stirring for about 3 to 4 minutes or until it just starts to turn golden and add the milk.
3. Continue stirring as you bring the mixture up to a boil, then lower the heat and stir continuously for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to a consistency that will coat the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, nutmeg, cayenne and salt and pepper then set it aside.
5. In a large nonstick skillet crumble and brown the sausage and drain off any excess grease. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute then add the broccoli rabe with some salt and pepper and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add the cooked pasta and béchamel and stir to combine.
7. Transfer the mixture into a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish and broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are crispy and brown. Keep an eye on it since everyone’s oven is different. And then it’s ready to serve.
8. Serve hot